Ideally, you'll want to do this the day before you sign the closing papers and fund the purchase. Hopefully the property will be vacant and easy to view.
Here's what to check for on this final visit before purchasing:
- Have all agreed upon repairs been completed to your satisfaction?
- Are all appliances, window treatments, fixtures, remote controls, etc. that are to remain with the property still there?
- Check that floors and walls that were previously covered by furnishes are damage free.
- Flush toilets and turn on faucets, checking for leaks, etc.
- If we've had recent storms, check the exterior for damage.
- Ensure the heating/ac is working.
- Has all of the seller's property been removed (including the attic and garage)?
- Ensure the transfer of utilities are finalized and that the seller isn't holding that up.