Mar 8, 2011
1. Use lighter colors. Lighter makes the space look larger. The same goes for walls.
2. Use wider planks. Wider makes the space look larger. The same goes for tile; larger tiles make the space look larger. Conversely, parquet and small tiles make the space look smaller.
3. De-clutter. The more open space readily visible, the larger, cleaner, and neater the space will look. Remove some of the knickknacks and maybe even a piece of furniture that's not necessary.
4. Use the same flooring material and color across rooms. Whenever possible, continue that same surface from room to room. By continuing the same surface, you connect the space and it just looks larger. Be consistent and make the rooms appear seamless.
5. Lay your floor on a diagonal. Whether you have tile or hardwood, this will make you space look larger as it carries your eye along the longest length. It will also make your space look more visually interesting. Note that occasionally when the space is very rectangular, a straight lay across the longest length is a better option, but most often, a diagonal is the better choice. [where: 75230]