- Your payment history. Whether you paid credit obligations on time.
- How much you owe. Owing a great deal of money on several accounts can indicate that you are overextended.
- The length of your credit history. The longer the better.
- How much new credit you have. New credit is considered more risky, even if you pay promptly.
- The types of credit you use. It's usually more desirable to have more than one type of credit - installment loans, credit cards, mortgage, etc.
For more on evaluating and understanding your credit score, go to http://www.myfico.com/